December 9, 2006

For the next 1 week

I will be at Haikou, Hainan Island at the Southern seas of China from 10 Dec to 16 Dec for the PEMSEA East Asian Seas Youth Forum that coincides with the congress that happens simultaneously.

Hainan, China

Did a bit of google search and was surprised that Haikou is literally just a small tip of the island, at the mouth of the Nandu river, the longest river in Hainan. Of course the name Haikou means the gateway to the sea.

Places in Haikou

Unbelievably, I still don't know where I will be staying on the island since accomodation is sponsored and arranged. But I do know that we will be spending much time in the People's assembly hall and possibly at the Hainan University where we get free breakfast. Yes, free breakfast at the university. Odd as that sounds but I am merely inferring from the fact that the itinerary says free breakfast as CIRD and that is the China Institute for Reform and Development, which is located at the Hainan University. Bizarre but I almost anticipate it. haha It would be nice to check out another university. Considering that I have now made a habit of collecting memorabilias from various universities around the world that I visit.

People's Assembly Hall

The only venue that I am sure we will be visiting is the congress venue which is the People's assembly hall. It was easy to identify it being by the coast and with a unique circular structure! Looks really modern. The exhibition hall is just right beside it and if I am not wrong, the exhibition panels by the youth participants will be over there. The Singapore contingent will be bringing several items of our own too!

Less than a day away from my departure and I haven't even pack yet! Think I better get crackin'. Will be updating more from China hopefully if I can manage to find internet access or even some free time! We will probably be working hard and playing hard. Not to worry, plenty of photos will return home with me as usual. Look forward to it!

---
Latest @ 9 Dec:
Just received email that I will be staying at CIRD afterall. Must be a hostel. On another matter, I am bunking with an Indonesian delegate! Ah hah! I can now put my malay to good use *grin* cakap melayu ya?

---
Update @ 10 Dec, 12:23AM:
Just found out that CIRD does stand for the institute for reform and development but the place where I will be staying at is not the same institution! The CIRD we will be put up at is a YMCA equivalent of a youth hostel in Haikou. By golly it's getting confusing. I guess I'll just have to wait till I arrive in order to know what the place really is! flight is in less than 6 hours. So exciting!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home