December 12, 2006

Sneaking in a post

I am in the middle of attending a talk during the forum but unfortunately I have to be rude and multitask since this is the ONLY place since I have arrived in China that gave freely accessible wireless signals!

In short, I'M FINALLY ONLINE!

It feels good to be connected online.

Since we arrived, it's been busy busy busy, seeing, eating and meeting people.



It's been really hazy here and there's an incredible bridge called the Century Bridge which I have yet to be able to catch a good picture of. It's the biggest bridge in the province of Hainan.

The first night, we went to a xinjiang restaurant. We missed the dance by just a few minutes but it's amazing that I ate for the first time, mutton that has no smell! In fact it is really delicious and I'm totally hooked on the xinjiang mutton "satay"! I can see why my dad favours it too. heh. The taste is really strong at first but it is addictive.



We also visited the Hainan University and it has a beautiful lake in it, named after Su Dong Po (the poet and of "Dongpo meat" fame). I always thought that Su Dongpo was from Suzhou but apparently he is more famous in Hainan where he was relegated to when he was sent to exile here in this "frontier" island. We actually chatted up a girl in rollerblades selling books by the lake for her granddad. She's really pretty and cute.



I am brushing up my chinese and nowadays speak japanese just for fun. Although of course I am limited to the few vocabulary "dozo", "jiotomate", "arigato" and what not. *hotoni*? lol hai! Playing translator is fun but as usual, these forums just make my multilinguistic yearnings grow. I wish I learnt Korean already. I must say, they are very friendly people. We have lots of fun with the Japanese and Korean delegates.



What is most amazing at this forum is that all the youth delegates speak excellent English. Whether they are from Vietnam, Korean, Japan or China! It's so fun! So much easier to learn, communicate and get to know each other when communications is with ease. Of course the china folks think I speak really good Chinese. Muhahaha my ancestors will be proud of me. *grin*




Yesterday, on the 2nd night here, we had a very interesting dinner which is sort of a steamboat except things are cooked already and simply heated up like a hot pot in the middle of the table. Chicken served with fried rice with pickled vegetables. Wow! I love the rice. On the other hand, what is amazing is that the shop only use dishes that comes in prepacked conditions. We were shocked but apparently it's the latest in catering cleaning services! They return the used dishes to the company and buy new ones from the company after they sterilize the used ones and vaccum pack it. What is just as interesting is that the shop only has 2 things on the menu. Frog legs and Chicken. Oddest part is that both says 'chicken' because frogs = "field chicken" and it seems as if they only sell chicken.

Anyways, today we will be here at the congress for the whole day. First day attending a ceremony 'live' in a People's Assembly Hall in China. It's really exciting. It even came with the little headsets you see on TV.

Right now, Prof Chou from NUS is about to come give us a talk so I'm gonna finish off now. My grumbling stomach doesn't allow further coherent thought. Will post the photos next!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home